Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Apps vs. Office



Earlier this year I dumped Microsoft Office (excluding PowerPoint*, which I occasionally use to impress my bank). Recently, I uninstalled Outlook as well. I do not like "heavy software". It is pricey, complicated and time-consuming. I prefer "light software" running directly on the web. From any browser, any computer, any location. It seems I am not the only one. BusinessWeek has more. At the same time I am really looking forward to Windows Home Server. I want Microsoft to be a back-end player and leave my client alone (except for my MSN, my WindowsMedia and...yes, I use Explorer, which seems to be their hottest front-end products these days. Their Live Service doesn't really seem to take on and too many of their online offers are limited to the U.S.) Please comment: What do you use? Office or Apps?


*There also have been two purchases to better compete with Microsoft's ubiquitous PowerPoint slide show software. In April, Google bought Tonic Systems, a provider of online presentation software. And in June it acquired Zenter, whose software lets users share slides over the Web. A spokeswoman says Google plans to offer such applications this summer.

***

1 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, Blogger Oscar said...

Browser: Firefox with Sage RSS plug-in.

Documents/ Spreadsheets: Open Office.

IM: Live Messenger with SimpLite Encryption plug-in.

HTML: Dreamweaver.

POP3: The new Windows Mail for Vista, but it's going in the trashcan as soon as I find something a wee bit more sexy and web2.0'ish. Any hints?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home