Friday, March 16, 2007

Bye bye laptop, hello UMPC


Small is beautiful seems to be the overall theme at this years CeBIT. I no longer consider my (old) IBM ThinkPad T series portable, laptop computers. They are now permantly installed as

a) iTunes music station in the living room
b) projector feed machine in the home movie theatre
c) office pc on the desk
d) kitchen pc downstairs

My (new) 1kg X60's are the only computers I use as portable laptop PC's. 3-4 kg's just isn't portable. It's torture.

I love the X60 (with or without Bluetooth), but I am also looking at the upcoming alternatives:

Paul Allen's Flipstart looks funky and runs Vista, the second generation OQO looks like a must-have and also runs Vista, but my money is on the 'real' UMPC's coming from Asus, Samsung and Sony and backed by Microsoft (the project was originally codenamed 'Origami').

So long laptop PC's, hello UMPC's.

***

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home